As I was looking for a mail setting to be set in my thunderbird, The yahoo mail usually failed me. But this time I am having a good point of setting the pop3 and smtp to be acquired in my thunderbird settings. I hope it helps you all.
Yahoo pop3 and SMTP support has been there for long unlike Hotmail POP3 support which Microsoft introduced recently.With Yahoo pop3 and SMTP settings, one can send and receive Yahoo! Mail messages easily through any other email program.
POP/SMTP are email protocols that allow you to manage one mail account from another mail program. Earlier we saw how to read in Gmail, Hotmail mails, by configuring Hotmail pop3 in Gmail.Similarly, you can set up Yahoo pop3 and Yahoo SMTP to funnel your Yahoo! Email into Gmail or Microsoft Outlook or Thunderbird or any other mail program on your PC or mobile phones. When you check your mails in Gmail or any such email program, they will automatically check your Yahoo mail account and download any new messages. You can also send messages as if you’re writing from your Yahoo Email account.
In Yahoo Mail, You can also use POP/SMTP to funnel other email accounts into your Yahoo mail account!!!
Yahoo POP3 and SMTP Settings:
Find below the basic POP3 settings that you need to configure in the email program where you want to access Yahoo mails.
- Incoming Mail (POP3) Server: pop3.mail.yahoo.com (Use SSL, port: 995)
- Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server: smtp.mail.yahoo.com (Use SSL, port: 465, use authentication)
- Account Name/Login Name: Your Yahoo! Mail ID (your email address without the “@yahoo.com”)
- Email Address: Your Yahoo! Mail address (e.g., email@example.com)
- Password: Your Yahoo! Mail password
Note that you also need to enable “Web & POP Access” on your Yahoo Mail account to send and receive Yahoo! Mail messages through any other email program.
- Log on to your Yahoo mail account
- If you’re using the new Yahoo Mail interface, Click “Options” in the upper-right corner of the page, then choose “More Options…” from the pull-down menu and On the left side of the page, select the “POP & Forwarding” option.If you’re using the original Mail interface, click “Mail Options” in the upper-right corner of the page, then click the “POP and Forwarding” link on the left.
- On the “Pop and Forwarding” page, choose the “Allow your Yahoo! Mail to be POPed” option. You can instead choose to forward your emails to an external email account by choosing the option “Forward your Yahoo! Mail” and specifying the external email address. But you can’t simultaneously Forward and POP your mail. Also note that forwarded mail skips your Yahoo! Mail Inbox entirely and goes straight to the new address you designate.
Next you need to configure your Yahoo POP3 and SMTP settings (if you had chosen “Allow your Yahoo! Mail to be POPed” option) into your other mail program, to access Yahoo mails via the other program.
How to configure in Gmail, Yahoo POP3 and SMTP settings to read and reply to Yahoo mails?
Find below the steps to configure Gmail for Yahoo POP3 and SMTP:
- Logon to your Gmail Account
- Click Settings in Gmail and open the Accounts tab
- In the Get mail from other accounts section, click Add another mail account
- Enter your full Yahoo email address and click Next Step
- Enter your Yahoo email address, Username (without the “@yahoo.com”) and Password in their respective text boxes
- Gmail automatically chooses the appropriate Yahoo POP server.
- Specify 995 against port
- If you’d like to keep a copy of each mail that Gmail retrieves, in your Yahoo account as well, select the Leave a copy of retrieved messages on the server checkbox. This way, you can access mail in your Yahoo account, and in Gmail.
- Yahoo mail does not mandate you to use a secure connection (SSL) though it is preferable to send and receive Yahoo! Mail messages through SSL.Hence, select the Always use a secure connection (SSL) when retrieving mail checkbox. In case you don’t choose this option, you should specify the pop3 server port as 110.
- If you do like to distinguish your Yahoo mails from your Gmail mails, choose Label incoming messages option and use any preferred label. You can select an existing label or create a new one from the drop-down list.
- If you don’t want your Yahoo mails to show up in your Gmail Inbox and you want to automatically archive them, choose Archive incoming messages option
- Click Add Account
- Once your Yahoo mail account has been added successfully, you’ll have the option of setting it as a custom From address. This allows you to compose messages in Gmail, but have them appear to be sent from your Yahoo mail account. Click Yes to set up a custom From address.
That is all!!! You can now read in Gmail, Yahoo mails and even reply to your Yahoo mails from Gmail!!! Enjoy Yahoo mail access from your Gmail Account.